This is such a quick soup to make and wonderful for a chilly day. It is a vegan recipe, but you can add a dollop of natural yoghurt if you are vegetarian.
Egyptian Red Lentil Soup
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup red lentils
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 potatoes chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic finely sliced
- 1 Tbsp oil any kind
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1-2 chopped fresh chili or ½ tsp chili power (optional)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup fresh coriander
- 3 Tbsp lemon juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Rinse the lentils well – red ones tend to give off a lot of scum
- Gently fry the onions until soft, and then add the garlic and spices.
- Fry for about 2 minutes, stirring so the spices don’t burn
- Put the onion mix in a pot with the lentils and potatoes.
- Cook until potatoes are soft – about 20 minutes. Add more water if necessary
- Blend with a stick blender or in a liquidiser – I like a coarse soup, but blend it until smooth if you prefer.
- Stir in the fresh coriander and serve
- A dollop of natural yogurt goes well with this